View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by essexboy View Post
Just filled out two questionaires on different websites to find out if I am likely to have a drink problem after googling alcohol/depression of which I suffer the latter after the former on a regular basis. Results are 17 and 14 yes's out of 20, which I gather is not good.

The thing is I don't drink everyday, more likely every other and probably get drunk to the point of memory loss once or twice a week. I understand that I need to cut down but am unsure whether I have a problem or am just over reacting and need to have a bit more willpower.
Welcome to SR EB, hope you continue to read and post here. I love the reading that TTOSBT shared, and yes we are a fun group of folks.

Just a few simple thoughts to consider.......

Normal drinkers probably don't drink to the point of memory loss, they don't contemplate whether they need to cut down or not, they don't give much thought to overreacting and needing more willpower, and they probably don't take questionaires about alcoholism just for the heck of it. Those things never even cross their minds.

I used to think about those things all the time. One day, lo and behold, I admitted that I was an alcoholic and needed a program of recovery. There was no thought about cutting down or moderating, I knew that I could never safely drink again.