Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DolphinLover

New Here

Hi, I am new here. Joined this morning. I posted in the Family and Friends of Alcoholics area - and thought I would do a quick posting here.

I have many alcoholics/addicts in my family. Grandfather, father, ex-husband, son (marijuana addict), possibly a couple of nephews, and now the sibling with whom I have always felt the most close to emotionally - I am sure that her drinking has turned into alcoholism. This latest revelation is just crushing me.

I live in a rural area with very few accessible meetings, although I have attended a few. Once fall/winter weather gets into the heavy rain/wind/sometimes snow pattern, I probably will be even more limited as to being able to get to meetings.

So, I am so glad that I found this website.

I know it is purely by the grace of God that I am not an alcoholic - - - and I am grateful for that. But having so many in my family, (two who died as a direct cause of the disease), is so terribly painful. I know I need help to be able to cope with all of this illness around me (as I truly believe alcoholism/addiction is).

And I know I need to work on myself first - so I am here not only for support, but to learn as much as I can about this Family Disease of Alcoholism - so that I can change my thoughts and feelings and not be so distraught about my loved ones.

Thanks for being here.

DL