Thread: S.C. Check-in
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by DK
I don't believe that there is zero control after one drink, atleast not for everyone. I'm not saying I've never lost control, but it's much more likely to happen if you believe it is inevitable. I do know that the more I drink the more likely I am to keep drinking. Actually, I haven't drank yesterday or today so far, and not because I've pressured myself not to. By the time I thought about having a beer yesterday, it was passed 10 and all the stores were closed (on a saturday night, lol).
I follow what your saying. I believe many people in recovery have different relationships with alcohol. True, many of us share a host of commonalities but not all. Many, many times I have been able to regulate a good buzz for an entire day without getting out there in the ozone. I'm not about telling folks that there is only one way people use alcohol or am I saying I know whats right for you.

Originally Posted by Bam
I'm okay, though. I've been doing a lot of thinking. I know I have a problem, that's for sure...but I've been putting unrealistic expectations on myself. Basically, I'm psyching myself out and stressing out way too much. The pressure I put on myself to stay sober no matter what is unreasonable right now...it's not helping me.
I understand. I was at a point of my recovery where I would stay sober for a few days then drink for a night. It was where I was at in my recovery efforts. It was what it was and at the same time I was aware of my efforts in recovery. I wanted recovery, so I decided to use harm reduction for a wile. Only you can decide whats right for you and I support whatever efforts you choose in recovery.

For me, the whole point of addiction treatment is to remain in treatment. To discover and practice ways of living that do not cause harm to me or others around me. This is going to take time and practice. I may have all sorts of levels of effectiveness with my sobriety. I can expect there will be times when I struggle and that's okay. The point is to keep trying new ways, develop new skills and gain new insight in to my recovery efforts. So here I am today, together with all of you, trudging the happy or not so happy road of recovery. We can have better health.