View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
freya

As I define co-dependency, it's all bad. I think of it basically as lots of potentially good things -- like loving, caring, nurturing, helping, supporting, etc.... -- taken to such an over-the-edge, unhealthy and dangerous to self-and-others extreme that their affect actually ends up being the exact opposite of what it would be in a healthy situation.....and, in many cases also the same behaviors that are indicative of loving, caring, nurturing, helping, supporting, etc... being engaged in, not for motives that have anything to do with real love and respect, but for motives (often sub-conscious) that have to do with fear, and control, and manipulation, and the desire to somehow compensate for lack of healthy, strong, separate self and sense-of-self.

Ideally, I think healthy adult relationships should be interdependent, and, in such relationships, obviously one is going to be doing some of the same things one does in a co-dependent relationship......but to a hugely different extent and for very, very different reasons.

freya