View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
TTOSBT
To Thine Own Self Be True

Originally Posted by rachel66 View Post
i'm overwhelmed! thanks so much for all your kind replies! made it through day 3 and am well into day 4 now. it seems the longer the day goes on, the worse my problems get. is that because i would always drink in the afternoon and the closer it gets to my preferred start time, my mind and body is telling me it needs the alcohol?

ironically, i realized that day 1 for me was on my daughter's 23rd birthday. and i have reconciled with my wonderful boyfriend who fell victim to my alcoholism as well on the same day. he has been a pillar of strength for me through these horrible symptoms/physical problems. i've heard valium or xanax can help. should i pursue that?

thanks so very much for having this group. i look forward to being a member of this board and am already taking on some of your advice. maybe someday i can help someone else!

oh, and on the topic of AA, i live in a small town and because of my profession, i am terrified it will hinder my chances of getting a full-time job in my field. i "fill in" for people on a regular basis and have found out that i have smelled like alcohol when i show up in the morning on more than one occasion and that may have something to do with me not getting hired for a position already. another embarrasment!

i do have a copy of the big book and have been reading it, but my threshhold for pain is not very high at all!

meanwhile, trying to stay strong!!!!

thx again all!
To answer your questions. Yes! That is exactly why it is harder as the day does on! That is why it is important for you to shake up your routine a bit, trick that disease!

Honey, if people see you in the rooms of AA, that is because they are in AA themselves! Attending AA is a LOT less embarrassing than those same people seeing you at the bar or buying wine at the store....

Believe it or not, you are already helping many of us! It is so important that none of us forget what Day 3 was like and that we can only keep what we have by giving it away. AND there are many on this board that will look to you because maybe they only have 1 day today or not even. We are all vital to recovery!!

SOOOO happy for you that you are on day 4!!