View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
guiab
AKA 'grewupinabarn'

Bragi, I went to a therapist in Boston back in the late 90's for CBT to treat social anxiety. I had also done CBT during school in Canada for depression and anxiety. Both therapists used workbooks and journaling whereby I focused my awareness on catching subtle thoughts and emotional reactions as they arose, not repressing them, writing out exactly what those reactions were directed towards and saying about people and the world and me, and then contradicting them.
It is done through a trained therapist. I have never seen a self-help book on it, but that does not mean that none exist - there are many textbooks that review the process. I can say definitely that it is essential to have someone else as a guide in the process.
Some useful descriptions can be found at:
Nami.org
nacbt.org
In truth, a quick search of amazon showed several CBT self-help books. None are the one that I used, but anything that requires you, through forms and persistent detailed questions, to write out what is passing through your head will work.
Having said that, I can say that it I have not been very good at keeping up with the therapy. Part of the goal is to keep working through the steps and workbook after one stops seeing the therapist. Only recently, with the pressures of school, have I returned to writing stuff out. Coming to this forum has definitely helped as I think I say more here than in a live ACOA meeting.
I really hope this helps you, Bragi, and keep posting. I definitely thing that the process of becoming aware of one's little persistent thoughts and feelings, and actively speaking back to them, is a way forward. Meditation also goes a long way toward that awareness.
Take good care of yourself.