View Single Post
Old 09-30-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
least
bona fido dog-lover

B vitamins are especially important as alcohol depletes the body of B vitamins. I've been trying to stop drinking since last December and as of today have 79 days sober, so you can see how many false starts I've had.

If you're at the end of day 3 you're thru the worst of the physical withdrawal, from my experience. But even with the alcohol out of your system you can still have odd effects from Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome, also known as PAWS. There's a sticky on paws at the top of one of the forums, I think the Alcoholism forum. Explains that while you're free of alcohol, your body and brain are still making the switch from drinking to not drinking. Memory problems, hard to concentrate, things like that. Irritating but not bad for you. Do keep taking vitamins, especially the B vits, as that will help put your brain back to its normal state. One of the signs of PAWS is anxiety, which can be helped by such simple things as Sleepytime tea, with chamomile and valerian, herbal relaxing agents.

Do read our posts, here and in the Alcoholism forum. Lots of good experience and hope there. And feel welcome to join some of the threads like Two weeks and under, Class of September (for those who quit drinking this month), and various other threads. And please post your feelings and questions. We'll do our best to give you answers based on our experience - tho not medical questions as we can't answer those.

Welcome to a great place for support and friendship! We're glad you found us! And if you have terrible urges to drink, post here first and we'll do our best to talk you out of drinking. Travelling this road to recovery is a lot more fun when you've got us to travel with!

:ghug3