View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
GingerM

I've experienced something similar, but it tends to be a "what if I do it wrong" sort of thing. My mom is the universal champion at this - she's so terrified that she'll be judged harshly that she simply never completes anything (which drives my dad batty, causing him to be harsh on her, causing her fear of harsh reprisals to escalate, causing her to do even less etc.).

Interestingly, my cure for this was when I started working in a laboratory which had to follow EPA guidelines for accuracy and precision. For most analytical methods, the EPA allows ± 10% accuracy. In other words, the number I produce needs to be shown to be within 90% to 110% of the true value. After many years of this, I realized that if it was good enough for the EPA, it was good enough for me.

So now when I take on tasks, I shoot for 90% good. If it has a few flaws in it, but it's mostly done right, that's good enough. No one can be perfect, so I shoot for "mostly close to perfect" now. It was amazing how much stress in my life disappeared when a task like vacuuming only had to be 90% done. If I leave a cobweb or hunk of dog hair or whatever behind, that's okay, I'll get it next time.