View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
jerect
Restoring myself to sanity

Originally Posted by dragonflytoo View Post

Should I just walk away from her. Will the drug problem continue? I suspect she has been using for years, but don’t know. She is very thin.

I have very strong feeling for this woman and would rather not lose her. I am worried about our future. Is it realistic to believe it could be healthy, she is very attractive yet she is very insecure.
As A wife of an addict, I just have one piece of advice from you. Don't walk away from her, run away from her, and run as fast as you can.

Will the drug problem continue? Until this girl gets help, yes unfortunatly the drug problem will continue and unfortunatly you have only seen the tip of the ice burg. Do not take her word for it when she tells you that this is the only time she has used. From what you posted she has been using for awhile. Part of the addiction is the lies that addicts will tell and boy will they tell some lies. They think they have everyone fooled but the truth is the only person they have fooled is themselves.

It's hard to make a choice when you have feelings and emotions involved but instead of thinking about your future as a couple, you need to think about YOUR future as an individual. Life with an addict is chaotic and a long painful road in hell. Just read the first page of this forum to get a glimps of what you are in for. You need to ask yourself, do you want to worry about this person every minute of every day? Do You want to resort to snooping through her things just to validate whether she is lying to you about using or not? Do you want to hear lie afer lie after lie, when you confront her about using? Do you want to wait on pins and needles for days while she disapears on a binge? I could go on and on but you get the idea.

A relationship with an addict is far from healthy. All addicts are insecure because they use their DOC to mask their feelings and to avoid reality.

If you really truly have strong feelings for this person, step aside and give your self some space between the two of you. Let her prove to you that she is getting help. And what I mean by getting help is staying in a treatment program like NA or rehab and working the program and staying clean for at least a year.

I know my post sounds harsh and i hope you don't take it the wrong way but you truly want to think about all sides of the equations before you get involved with an addict. If you think about it four months is not a long time invested in a relationship. Not when you think about the years you could spend with this person in addiction hell.