Old 09-25-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
kelsh

Thumbs up Should you tell the truth????

Hi Bradster,

I am another one to tell the truth...I did to a Alcohol Counselor, A dotor that was on call at the hospital & agreed to be my doc, & to the State Health Department when I applied for a Counselor's Certification....It all paid off in the end.

I was medically detoxed in the hospital so had no withdrawals at all. I think they have specific medical detox with tx centers now.

My brother is 67 years old & was able to quit his drugs using just alcohol but now needs to get off alcohol and can't. His son took him to a doctor because he had symptoms of a heart attack (which he did have a heart attack at home) and he told the doctor the whole truth...the doctor will help him when & if he agrees to help himself get off of alcohol. :praying

I have been sober 20 years and at one time my brother had 14 years sober & clean but started again about the same time I sobered up. His second wife left him....so that was his reasoning for drinking again.

Our parents are both gone & my brother was very co-dependent with them. They bailed him out of jail, paid his bills when he couldn't, and just about ruined his ability (along with the drugs & alcohol) to function on his own.

It is a much longer story that includes us owning the family home together that ended with me having my lawyer evict him & the others that he rented bedrooms out to.

Most doctors today want to help anyone, especially someone that is honest & willing to do what it takes to help themselves. There are many ways to get sober & stay sober but staying sober is much harder than getting sober. I needed other sober people to help me as well as being able to help others myself. Much of my help was by example & sharing my experience, strength, & hope with others.

I wish you the best...keep coming back...post to let us know how you are doing. The financial situation may stay the same or get better if you do get sober....there are lots of places to get help depending on where you live.

That person that mentioned he might be able to get some info for you would be a good place to start. :atv

kelsh