View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Horselover

Hi LG1 - Welcome to SR. I totally understand about your dad thinking you are overreacting. My Mom and I would drink wine together EVERY time we were in each other's company. She also thought I was overreacting too. I haven't drank since the day after Mother's day and she has come to realize I wasn't overreacting. We have had a lot of deep conversations about my drinking and my past. She said I was definitely right in quitting and even told me of a conversation she had with my 5 year old one day. She had asked him, "Let's have a party. What should we get for the party?" My son answers, "Wine, Gramma Sue." Not balloons. Not candy or cake or ice cream, but wine. It made me feel very remorseful, but also gave me the ammunition to continue living sober. I would like that conversation repeated at some point and I really hope his answer will have changed.

Your dad will come around. He will feel probably a bit sad because its the tool you guys have put forth in communicating, which is the same as my mom and I had. You will find another way to enjoy eachother's company. Believe me.

You will at some point want to stop the insanity that drinking causes and when problems arise you will have a plan to handle it. SR is one tool. There are many others out there as well.

Again welcome!!