View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LG1

Harder than I ever thought...

Hey Gang... I'm so glad I've found this site. I've been in the background for a month or so reading other peoples stories and the support I've seen is truly encouraging.

I am what I think would be refered to as a binge drinker. Now, my binges consist of probably 8-10 bottles of beer and, on occasion, a few shots. That may not seem like much in the grand scheme of drinking problems but its my inability to stop at just one or two that is problematic.

In addition to the inability to quit after a couple, the urge to drink is overwhelming after the 2nd or 3rd day after my last "binge". It's that urge or cumpulsion that concerns me the most.

In the last 2 years I haven't gone more than 3 days without getting drunk. I've tried but my mind always comes up with some reason why it's okay. This week I actually asked my Mother to stay with me so I had someone to be accountable to... so I could go a whole week without drinking. That worked great!...

... Until last night. I'm so dissappointed in myself for caving in. I had a lot on my mind after work and I just couldn't face coming home to my empty house again.

It's like just when I think I'm "over the hump" something snaps and in an instant I'll have convinced myself that it's okay to drink... and the next thing I know I'm sitting at the bar ready to drink the night away.

I'm not really sure what my intention is with this little confession... I guess I just thought if anyone would understand where I'm at... you all would. My father (who thinks of me as his drinkin buddy) seems to think I'm over reacting.

The fact is I'm tired of getting drunk all the time.

Thanks for listening.

~ LG1 in the Poconos