Thread: Lonely at home
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
justaboutus
Rediscovering myself

I was happy for the first 8 years of our relationship. Only the last two have been bad. I only suspected alcohol playing a part in the past 6 months or so. I don't think mine unraveled as fast as yours did, but it did happen within a few months. It just took me alot longer to realize what was going on. I thought it was a marriage problem, not an addiction. I was treating symptoms of a bad marriage for a good year before I realized he was an alcoholic. Some people may be able to have a good marriage with an alcoholic but I can't.

I had this one friend who used to project personalities on her dates. Then, when they showed their true colors, she'd break up with them and be heartbroken. She always loved the man she THOUGHT they were/wanted them to be, not who they actually were. I'm pretty sure my husband had an addictive personality to begin with and he just fell in the trap. He has changed, he wasn't always this way. So I've decided that I miss the loving attentive man I married 5 years ago, not the addict I live with now.