View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jody Hepler

I went to lots of meetings in the beginning (daily for me - but I was absolutely nuts) and picked the one for a home group where I felt like I fit in, where I wanted what they had and what was geographically convenient. And made a commitment to myself to go each time it met.

I got a sponsor immediately by asking in a meeting for someone as a temporary sponsor. You aren't married to them and can change, but I liked the idea of temporary (she was my sponsor for some years until I moved) - but it was important for me to have someone in the very beginning that I could call daily and that really got to know my situation. Details aren't always a good thing in meetings - and we have to protect the anonymity of the addict in our life.

My sponsor taught me the program - and took me through the 12 steps.

Think of her as a guide - just like if you joined a new organization, you would read the handbook and ask questions.

You deserve a sponsor to help you - recovery is like a life raft going down the rapids - if you stay in the middle, you will make it - if you are on the edges, you may fall in and drown.

Love in recovery,

Jody Hepler