View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sistergldnhair

So I was probably silly to expect all was go so calm. At around 11:00pm, I got a call from the rehab. DS had been brought from the airport directly to a detox, and as luck would have it would not be at the hospital (he told me he did not want to be in a hospital..but the rehab did tell him he would be in a medical detox), but anyway, he ended up in a freestanding detox facility. The wonderful man at the rehab (he really seems to be an exceptional person), said that DS apparently was causing a rucus at the detox, that he wanted to leave, he'd go sit at the airport all night instead..so the counselor gave me the phone number of the detox to call him.
So I called. Fortunately I got a really nice nurse. At the time I called she said DS was out having a cigarette, and she said there were other patients and a tech out there, so she hoped that they would calm him down. She said what happened was that during his intake process,,even though he was getting nasty, they had another patient causing a scene, and I think that spooked him. But she had said that they legally could not keep him, unless he gave in and took the meds they had prescribed for him. She said they detox with Methadone, and she had an order for Valium, and most probably if he would take it, he would sleep. We talked for awhile, and she said she couldn't tell me what do to, but he needed to be there. He told her he used in the morning before he got on the plane (I knew this already), he was doing the nods..and he was loaded with track marks. I told her of course I wanted him to stay. So she said she'd wait til he came in and she would tell him she talked with me and that I said I wanted him to stay. I told her if he wanted to talk with me, than by all means let him call, which I was dreading would happen.
The hours ticked by, and each 15 minutes I took a breath relieved that he hadn't called. I then called back the rehab and the counselor talked with me for a bit, told me that the nurse told him DS was bad. Track marks everywhere...he kept me calm and told me he was keeping his cell by the bed, and that he wanted me to call him if I heard anything at all. Most importantly, was that if DS would just take the meds, then they had to legally keep him, and that's what we were shooting for last night. Just get through one night. Apparently DS thought he was going directly to the rehab, and although the counselor told him about being in a medical detox for a few days, I guess it didn't register.

So the nurse called me at 2:00am, that DS had given in. She said it wasn't easy, but everyone talked with him, patient's, staff...and he had given in and said he'd stay. WHEW........

I wonder if the knot that has found a home in my stomach, will ever go away? So I'm off to work, in an attempt to distract myself (yeah right)...