View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 10:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Seeking Wisdom

Welcome

I first started visiting here in Oct. 2003 when I was totally overwhelmed with increasingly outrageous behavior from my AH. Like many others when they first seek out this forum, I was angrier and more distraught than I had ever been in my entire life ... which is saying something considering I had been married to an alcoholic for decades. The mind games, lying, blaming and denial were overwhelming and there was no one else I knew that would understand the unique problems facing those living with alcoholics.

After one visit to SR, I felt a sense of calm and validation from seeing the many stories that mirrored my own. All of a sudden I began understand that these strange behaviors were symptoms of alcohol addiction .... not some unique character flaws of my husband. I finally stopped trying to reason with an active alcoholic and I stopped feeling guilty for refusing to live with him anymore ... and I finally felt validated in my choice to no longer tolerate such disruptive behavior in my home.

As you commented, there is a wealth of knowledge here that can only come from those that have lived with an active alcoholic. I honestly believe unless you have lived with an alcoholic .... one cannot truly understand the unique challenges we must face.

Keep coming back ... hopefully the information you find here will help you decide which path is best for you.