View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
KarenOskie

Welcome Conk! If you're concerned about withdrawals, and of course you should be, you should see a doctor. I was drinking that much every day, too, and my withdrawals only consisted of sweating and headaches and being really tired, and cravings for alcohol. But everyone is different, so please be careful and get medical attention.
Here's what helps me with cravings:
Pray about it. (This helps tremendously even during the times when I'm not sure I believe in God. I just say the words.)
Put it off. Wait until you've shared it with someone in recovery. One of my triggers is driving home from work, so I will put it off until I get home and read and post here. For me, it's too hard to say, "I'm not going to do it." when I'm in the middle of the craving. I have to promise myself I can drink if I still want to after I've done everything else in my arsenal.
So far, my arsenal includes: SR, eating really good snack foods, taking a hot bubble bath, going to AA, calling people in my family or in recovery, walking my dog, playing with my dog, getting outside for a while, taking a nap, reading recovery books, reading good fiction, watching movies, working on my step (I'm on two and reading a great book called 'came to believe').
All that is just how I'm doing it. One of the great things about SR is that we all have our own methods. You will find what works for you if you keep trying. I especially like what Carol had to say to me, and that is to be very gentle with myself. I hope you will do the same.
I'm glad you made it here.