Thread: OT - good news?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

OT - good news?

Most of you know of my legal issues, but for those who don't, here's what's been going on.

I was an RN, started on crack on Thur. and Sat. took some narcs from work, for a friend, and was caught. I was charged with obtaining controlled substances by fraudulent means and theft by taking.

Since I had no criminal record, I was put on a first-offender program, meaning that if I complete probation, I would not have a felony. I DID violate, when I didn't show up for probation (too busy smoking crack), and was locked up for almost 6 months.

However, PO says that was not enough to convert my charges to felony.

Found out, earlier this year, that my record shows "convicted felon"...PO sent paperwork, trying to get it straightened out. She also urged me to get a lawyer and get off probation early, because of how well I've done.

I hired a lawyer, 4-1/2 months ago, from that area...he was a friend from my old AA home group. Have been on his a$$ since then, and I guess he finally got tired of me calling.

Yesterday, he filed a motion to get me off probation and to have my record corrected. I have a court date for Oct. 23. However, he talked to the DA, who told him that if my PO puts it in writing, that she recommends my probation be terminated early, he will honor it and we won't have to go to court (I'm on probation 'til Feb 2010). He also talked to someone about the felony, who told him that he needs to contact the GBI (GA Bureau of Investigations) and tell them they have made a mistake and they need to correct it.

SOOOO, it looks like I will soon be off probation AND will not have a felony to follow me around the rest of my life. I had fully prepared for having the felony, and accepted it, but I'm pretty excited to NOT be a felon

I have been looking for other jobs, in the medical field, but figured this felony thing would be a big problem. Once this is all taken care of, I can contact the board of nursing (BON) and begin to work on reinstatement of my license (they told me to take care of legal issues first).

Can't believe it, but it looks like my last legal hurdles are about to be tackled

Hugs and prayers!

Amy