Old 09-12-2008, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Jersey Nonny
Old & Sober Member of AA

There's a line from a Robert Burns poem:

O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!
...loosely translated, "Oh, would the Higher Power give us the gift to see ourselves as others see us."

Although I agree that it's not advisable to "sugar coat" for fear it appears we're accepting behavior that could be counter-productive to recovery, not everyone appreciates total honesty...especially those in early sobriety. There can be a fine line between being tactfully helpful and just plain critical...and it often depends upon who's doling out the criticism. A sponsor can say in private what might not be received well by a group member in the presence of the rest of the group.

Alcoholics, in general, are inclined to be overly sensitive...very thin-skinned. I, personally, used to be hyper-sensitive...then, super-sensitive...now, just sensitive (often depending on how bad a day I'm having). So, at least I'm showing signs of improvement...and, that's progress.

I also come to SR as a means of keeping my memory green, recalling that "He who forgets to remember is doomed to repeat." So, I need to be reminded of "how it was" by others trying to get/stay sober. Just because I have X number of years doesn't make me immune to the cunning, baffling, powerful aspects of the disease.