View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Cool

Hey LouLou ----

I always hesitate at telling newcomers that their lives will get 'better' if/when they give up the booze/drugs and work at recovery/sobriety.....

There's a wonderful woman from So. CA, an AA circuit speaker by the name of Patty O., and I luv what she says (paraphrased a bit here)...........:

If I (you) don't drink/pick up; I (you) won't get drunk/high; and
If I (you) don't get drunk/high, my (your) life will get.....(not better, but)....DIFFERENT....!

What I've found for me is that as my life gets different, my perception changes and I see my life as getting better.... (o:

.....now, when it comes to happiness, or being happy....? I've found that that comes from inside; outside things, and/or people can't make me happy. For me it's a decision I make, usually on a daily basis (if you'll pardon the 'scriptural' reference here.....I really love what the great psalmist had to say in Psalm 118:24 This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.). I really try to do this every morning (even if sometimes it might be in a slight growl through clenched teeth....lol).

You said, "...I really want life long sobriety..." ----- Well, do you know what 'they' say about getting 'long-term' sobriety....? Heck, it's easy; don't drink and don't die...... (o:

Keep on truckin the road of happy destiny along with us all..... (o:

NoelleR