View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

I want to speak to you as a recovering meth addict (my drug of choice in the end), the ex-wife of a meth addict, and as the mother of two addicts, one of whom ended up in jail for 9 months after being busted for running sudafed into a meth lab.

I don't think I've ever seen such family destruction and despair as I have with meth over the past few years.

Meth depletes the dopamine in your brain, and the longer you use, the more damaged you become.

You become numb to the chaos in your life.

I am very blessed as my parents' prayers were answered, not in their time, but in God's time, and I have 18 years clean/sober now.

My ex-husband, on the other hand, was buried last year at age 47. He never found recovery.

My oldest has lost custody of her children. She lost them when she overdosed in front of them one day.

She's been in and out of jail numerous times over the years, is currently on probation for more charges, and thinks it's a joke.

She hasn't worked a real job in over 10 years.

The last time I went to see her in jail, she sat on the other side of the glass, smirking the entire 30 minutes, and told me quite distinctly she is not an addict.

I walked out of there with a sense of closure, knowing I have done everything possible as far as reaching out to her, and I turned her over to God 100%.

What I felt were the worst things that could happen in my life at the time-being married to an abusive meth addict, no longer being able to put the needle down myself, being beaten on a regular basis by the husband-were all blessings in disguise because that is exactly what it took for me to drop on my knees and hit bottom.

I understand your anger. To the normal person who can think logically and sanely, the actions of the addict are maddening!

I hope that you can find some peace of mind and have faith that God does have a plan for your sister, just as he does for each of us.