View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

A big dose of gratitude

I wait tables in a 24-hour restaurant, and as I was ready to get off work this morning, the road in front of work was closed for "road races".

It was cool to watch the bikes go by, then the roller skaters. Then came the people in wheelchairs. The first 1/2 mile is uphill, and as I watched them go by, I was overwhelmed with gratitude for all that I have.

I've been frustrated over several things, most of them consequences of my using.

Today, I realize how blessed I am that I am pretty healthy, despite abusing my body with one substance or another for 20 years. I am able to work a job that requires being on my feet for 8 or more hours, but I'm blessed that I HAVE legs and feet and they work pretty good.

One of the wheelchair racers was really struggling and I wanted to go out and help him. But I knew I couldn't...it would disqualify him and he was trying really hard. I went back inside the restaurant, said a prayer for him and the other racers, then went back out to check on him and he had made it to the top of the hill.

Several people were on the side of the road, watching the race. There was far more cheering on and clapping for the people in wheelchairs.

I realized I take a lot for granted. Today I am reminded that every breath I take, every step I take, is a miracle, because I could have died or caused permanent damage when I was using.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy