Thread: I am lost
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
LucyA

Originally Posted by Multia View Post
I have posted less than two hours a go and have already gotten so many kind words and support. It is so hard because I have never seen anyone so helpless and innocent. Unfortunately he does not want any help. Every night my mom walks in quietly in to his apartment just to make sure he is still breathing. Sometimes he sleeps in the same position for days, without food and water and is down to 100 lbs. He has no TV and no phone no Internet and no friends. Whenever he is lucid he begs us to not come too see him, he just wants to be alone. This is suicide just like any other. The system has failed us. We tried everything but without his will we can’t force him to any clinic. This is a disease beyond addiction, yet the doctors keep telling us he is normal but with a drinking problem. This is not a problem this is a slow death.

Multia, I don't think the system has failed you, 'the system' can only help your brother if he accepts the help offered. Unfortunately your brother sounds very much like mine, although mine isn't quite so far on. That's their choice, our brothers I mean, you can choose to do as I did and help yourself though. I have been much happier and healthier since I accepted my brother as he is and also accepted that his choice to drink when he knows it does him harm is his alone. I still care for him and love him as my brother, but I don't allow his choices to affect me now.
If it's what your brother chooses there is nothing you can do, ecxept look after yourself. It's hard and it hurts, but I personally find it better than trying to look after him.