Thread: I am lost
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Seeking Wisdom

It must be heartbreaking for you to watch someone you have known your entire life deteriorate before your eyes. It is especially difficult knowing it was the result of his decision to keep drinking despite all the negative consequences to his health.

When my AH reached late stage alcoholism, it was then I fully realized how powerful his addiction had become... at one point, he was told he would lose his vision if he did not stop drinking .... and to everyone's amazement he continued to secretly drink all while complaining about how bad his eyesight was becoming. It was during this time, his entire family finally realized how very serious his addiction was. Sadly, his mind also began failing him and most of the time he could not even think or process information properly ... and in a very short time his entire body began to fail him ... but nothing could stop him from drinking. I spent a great deal of time doing research on the internet about the effects of alcohol on the human body ... and found long term heavy consumption, ultimately damages just about every cell and organ in the human body. When my AH reached this point, I no longer felt anger, but felt sincere pity and remorse for how alcoholism had tragically consumed a once very healthy, strong and capable person ... and how he eventually became powerless to stop it.

You have my deepest sympathies for your brother's situation and all the pain your family is going through. Please take care of yourself and find peace in knowing you and your family have done all that you could in the face of this overwhelmingly destructive and tragic addiction.