Old 08-29-2008, 10:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jener81

newbie seeking guidance regarding a family vacation mishap

My fiance recently went to a lakeside cabin with his extended family for about a week. Less than 6 weeks ago he nearly died of alcohol poisoning (2nd suicide attempt of the summer) and was in a coma, on a breathing tube, the whole nine yards.

Now the same family that prayed at his bedside in the intensive care unit, to my horror, actually prepared for him and physically served him margaritas and god knows what else. When my guy told me this and realized how horrified I was, he quit talking but I'm sure there was beer and other things involved. Now this in MY opinion isn't even enabling... it's downright vicious. His rationale is that his family "cut him off" after they decided he'd had enough and then monitored the liquor so he couldn't steal extra.

I feel like I am going crazy, for real. Could people be so toxic to their own family? Is this a twisted dream?

What am I to do, think, etc? How am I to react? I am not to sure I want to marry into a vile family such as this.

Any thoughts/advice warmly welcomed. I am nauseous and numb.
PS He is my 1st ever contact with an alcoholic. I know very little and I come from a family that only uses alcohol for occasional cooking! I am truly lost and truly overwhelmed.