View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 12:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
stonehenge
Expert Beginner

Originally Posted by Snickers008 View Post
Steve- I'm no recovery expert but you sound like a very nice intelligent person to me. I think your posts are honest and sincere. My son is in rehab now and I would be thrilled to read something like this from him because then I know he would be speaking the truth instead of just telling me what I want to hear.

My son was in recovery for about 6 months last year and he used to tell me little AA-isms all the time. I think I liked this one the best "Do the next right thing". As he explained it to me- this is what a good life boils down to- a long series of the next right things. I try to remember this every day myself. Good luck to you and I hope to read more of your posts.

Sincerely, Snickers
Hi Snickers, thanks for that !!

I like that one too - will try to think about that when Im feeling anxious about things! I've never been to AA (I feel off put by the religious aspects, unfortunately) but I have been to a place here called Holyoakes, and they have a similar group session setup. Their main mantra there being "You gotta wanna." - which I felt was always rather ironic since I was there in the first place, that to me says I do want to. It's keeping that motivation after I left sessions that was the hard part. But I always did feel I was only saying what they wanted me to say..

I hope your son does break thru, I know how many times I truely wanted to stop and did all the right things that I thought were going to help, and still am not sure of how tomorrow will be.. You're not alone, and neither is he

But at least Im still here and not in my own guilt hideout - so far so good..