View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Cool Moose Lake and the Killer Raccoons

Hi Gang! I am back from a wonderful few days visiting Mooselips (who sends hugs to everyone) at her island on Codie Lake. This is year 4 for me, and every year I find it even more beautiful than I remember, each year I laugh harder than ever before, and each year we stay up later and later gabbing about life in general and solving the problems of the world.

It's one of the best gifts of recovery, to get to meet in person people with names like Mooselips (and last year CatsPajamas and Hangin' In) and finding them even more beautiful and wonderful in person than I ever imagined.

Mr. Moose is a saint, and a wonderful cook and the host with the most, and I was lucky that Mama Moose was there this year and baked me one of her (now world famous) applie pies. She is 85 years old and I can't keep up with her, and she giggled when I told her that thanks to SR, her pies are now world famous.

We kayaked on mirror calm water for over 2 hours, stopping at uninhabited islands along the way to explore (and give this codie's arms a rest, ha ha), and we fought off the killer raccoons who had got into Mr. Moose's work shop the night before and had a feast on garbage and corn kept to feed the ducks...and then were miffed when he locked the door and there was nothing the next night for them and all their friends they brought with them. Let me tell you that there is nothing cute about a gang of killer raccoons plotting to seek revenge on the "Earth People" and who we thought had left when I headed for the guest cottage to sleep...and who were just waiting to startle two codies who could jump 20 feet high and scream 4 octaves higher than a dog can hear.

We had fun, we shared our lives and our spirits and our dreams, and our recovery and it all passed too fast once again this year, but will be another treasure in my memory chest that I will bring out and smile each time I think of it.

Here is one of many lovely sunsets on Moose Beach. The moon was late rising so we didn't see it each night, but the sunsets more than made up for it....

First day was cool, but sunny and bright, and a perfect day to sit on the beach and ponder...that's Mooselips on the left and yours truly happy beside her

Mr. Moose kayaking by...I think he found the water quieter than the shore...