View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
yorkshireman

Has my time has come to get sober?

Hi everyone.

I am a 38-year-old man and have a problem.

I will be honest about my situation and hopefully some of you guys can give me some advice and support.

I am not sure if I am an alcoholic or just someone who drinks too much? I have been a drinker since I was about 20 years old.

Typical drinking for me would be a bottle of wine on a night in and five or six pints of beer/cider on a night out. I drink almost every night. I never drink during the day and never crave drink. It's more of a habit I've developed. Last week I had a dry day because it was raining and I couldn't be bothered to go out to buy alcohol. I very rarely touch spirits and have never woken up needing a drink or anything like that.

Last September I had a blood test which showed raised liver enzymes. My doctor told me not to worry too much but to try and cut down my drinking. I haven't taken his advice other than not drinking at lunchtime (I have stopped going to the pub with my workmates at lunch).

I've been to much of a coward to have another test which I know is stupid and really don't know where to go in my situation.

If I'm honest I'd like to think I could really cut down on my drinking so I can still enjoy a glass or two of wine a few times a week but I don't know if I could do it.

Should I stop completely? Is my liver likely to be permanently damaged?

I really don't know what to do.

Thank you.