View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
stonehenge
Expert Beginner

Hi again all... Oh thank you all for the replies..

It's funny how guilt can make you stay away from something... fell off the wagon before I even got on it last time I was seeking help.. Lost my job again, went into a spiral.. same old thing that happens over and over.. Didnt come back feeling like a ****** after really really wanting and trying.. again.. to stop.

But hopefully, I can get a leg up this time, since I've actually started with a program here called Next Step here in West. Australia, which so far seems a heck of a lot better than the useless doctors I've been seeing over the years who are all too eager to throw valium and anti-depressants at me.. and tell me to get a wife, go fishing, or read a bible.

A proper checkup, people who are up to date with things and listen rather than the usual moron doctors I've seen who never seem to listen.

Hopefully, if my blood test comes back OK, tomorrow I'll be prescribed naltrexone - and with the councelling, Im anxious and happy about it.

They are also willing to prescribe antabuse should it come to it, which honestly, I would prefer. but I will try anything at this point.

I read Angie's (sorry, cant remember the full user name post before about her antabuse, and as she says, taking it would be half the struggle out of the way. Like her, I believe that taking it in the morning would cause me to put drinking out of my mind, at least to the point that if I were to be stupid and drink on it, it would be a far harder thing to do that sit here convincing myself of all the reasons(self lies) to go and get drunk again.

That, and I too hate feeling sick, but meh, every second or third day is the end of a bender and sickness is too familiar these days.

So, tomorrow Im off to see the next step councellor, then the doctor who will check if Im not too far gone to be prescribed naltrexone. hehe, it's funny that in order to be prescribed a drug to help stop me drinking, I have to have not drunk so much over the years that it would not be possible to be prescribed it.?! oO

My only concern is that from things I've read about studies done on naltrexone and campral, naltrexone was only marginally more effective that campral, which was only marginally better than the placebo..

but at least it's a start and a step in the right direction... Hopefully Im still posting in a week

Finger crossed this time.

Steve.