View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 11:45 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
littlefish

Hey there Tryingsohard:
Are you feeling nervous and afraid to tell your husband because you are anticipating judgementalism and anger?
Well, your feelings are SO understandable. Finally finding the resolve and courage to tell your signifigant other that you have a drinking problem or believe you are an alcoholic is like walking over coals. It was one of the hardest things I ever did.
But, try to look at it another way.
My therapist was pushing me for months to do that. To tell my husband. I just woudn't do it. I was ashamed. Then, the night before my son's 8th birthday, I got totally smashed. I ended up "disappearing" for the whole evening and slept it off in a storage room. I told him the next morning. Well, then I was in for a surprise. He didn't believe me. He said, "oh, you are not an alcoholic". Well, slap me down.
At one and the same moment, a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders because I wasn't alone in this anymore. Someone else knew. But, I also had my work cut out for me to educate him about alcoholicism and he needed to accept that it is a reality in my life.
That was 10 years ago.
Maybe your husband may turn judgemental on you and become critical towards you. That is a risk, but then, you just have your work cut out for you there to educate him and give him ways to support you.
Good luck! We are all here for you!