Thread: Baby Steps
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
karisma

Originally Posted by cmc View Post
Remember that if he is really that worried about Al-Anon meetings he can always find one that you don't attend and check it out for himself. It's incredible to me how someone who's never been to a meeting seems to know so much about the program.
There lies my biggest challenge. My AH father was forced into treatment by the other siblings. My AH still lived at home during this (youngest child). They made all the family members attend for a couple of weeks. Basically from what I have been told. Everyone told his dad everything he had ever done to hurt them. Tried to convince his mom to leave his dad. It basically traumatized my AH. He still gets very upset about the whole thing to this day. I do not believe that you can force an Alcoholic into treatment, it has to be done from within. So I guess I understand my AH fear of me going to Al anon, since he himself had such a terrible experience, but I am hoping that I can make him see through me going that not all meetings are like that. I am not going to give him ultimatums, or force him to attend meetings. I am doing this to help myself. So I guess I just pray that God will help give me the strength to help myself, but also help him to understand that AA and Al anon are not what he thinks they are.