Old 08-09-2008, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Originally Posted by JohnPainter View Post
a lot of dependent people (alcoholics and addicts) confuse their extremely destructive 'self-centeredness' with 'depression'. I know I have. if I can't get the immediate gratification of what I want, I get 'depressed'. it's really nothing more than a pity party in the hopes that someone will feel sorry for me. then, I can take that person hostage and use them to make me 'feel better'. it's very sick, and also very common. it is one of the underlying conditions of almost every dependent person, which is why programs that actually work stress the importance of:
1. facing and admitting our deep, dark motives and inclinations
2. resisting the impulse to seek immediate gratification
3. surrendering to a set of ideals, or principles, that are NOT inherently selfish
4. continue on this course as a way of life

if you try doing these things for a full year and find you are still depressed, you might have a problem besides your dependency; in which case you might do what a healthy person would do: seek a professional diagnosis.
Is this what they mean by insanity is doing the same things over and over John?

Depression is nothing to do with self gratification or selfishness or whatever the hell else was mentioned here - it's not some brattish response - it's a recognised illness, Mikey.

When I'm sick I see a doctor, when I'm depressed I see a therapist.
Noone needs to suffer

As someone who has suffered chronic clinical depression, this advice would have harmed me. Don't wait a year.

D