Old 08-01-2008, 03:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mattcake

I guess I'll kick off, I've always been gay and never thought of it as being a problem. Discovering that a lot of people did have a problem with that, however, baffled me. I struggled when I came out to my family when I turned 20. I think that being gay only played a small part in my alcoholism, mainly related to loneliness and isolation. But, if I were straight, I'm pretty sure I would have felt lonely and isolated anyway. Though I guess I did feel a bit guilty for a while because my parents weren't exactly thrilled. I eventually learned that was their own problem to deal with, and they've gradually accepted me for who I am. EIGHT years later, my mother is now prodding me to find a "nice boy" to be with - who would have thunk!

I gradually figured out how to be myself AND fit in at the same time without ruffling too many feathers. I want tolerance, so I learned to be tolerant. Don't get me wrong though, I'm tough and won't take any BS But I think we all have challenges to deal with. Coming out, though scary, was more than worth it. Girls feel safe around me and spoil me to death, a lot of guys feel more comfortable talking about their more mushy feelings with me... And I love that. Gay and proud of it? Naaah, not really. Just proud of being true to myself.

Last edited by Mattcake; 08-01-2008 at 03:39 AM.