Old 07-31-2008, 02:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
lizw
God's Kid

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
I don't believe anyone ever intended to tick me off. My reaction to the stark truth was to be offended. Same with my therapist--she was only pointing out that my thinking was skewed as a result of living with alcoholics all my life. She wasn't being "mean," I just took it that way. Instead of "absorbing information" I resisted it and got my hackles up.
In my expereince this is quite a common response in the Al Anon rooms. I know when I went, 8 years ago I wasn't ready to hear that maybe I should stop focusing on my AH all the time and focus on myself - they (the Al Anon members) just didn't understand.

However when I went back 5 years ago I would have done anything they told me to do and I was more than willing to accept maybe there was something not quite right about me, to keep ending up in relationships with alcoholics and addicts, as PAIN is a great motivator....

I was thinking this the other day that it's hard to see anothers reaction on SR since everything is in cyber space, but the weird thing about alcoholism/addiction is that while a persons situation/reactions/responses/thoughts etc feel unique, when it comes to alcoholism/addiction we're all the same - it's just the extremes that vary.

:ghug