Old 07-30-2008, 07:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

Thanks, this is a great post. Thanks, LTD for sharing what your experience was. And thanks, MG for sharing how yours was different.

I found SR after I had had some time in Al Anon. It might not work for everyone, but Al Anon worked for me. I will tell anyone who asks that Al Anon saved my life.

I found SR when I was searching online to learn more about the addictive behaviors that my son was exhibiting. It was the middle of the night and I couldn't sleep. Thank GOD I found this place. There were people here - at anytime of the day or night - who understood my life. There was comfort in sharing my pain with strangers... strangers who became online friends. We laughed, we cried, we got better together.

There were people here who rubbed me the wrong way. They challenged my belief systems. Some found their own recovery without the help of Al Anon. There was a time when I didn't think that was possible. Today, I KNOW it is. Just like everyone else, I learned my own life lessons in my own time. Not on anyone else's time table.

I have been thru hell in my own life. And I came out on the other side. I still pass by there from time to time, and I even peek in once in awhile. I will never BE there again, not even if one of my loved ones decides to live there. I have the tools, and I know what to do to keep myself in a better place.

I work on my recovery every single day. If I don't, I slip right back into the stinking thinking that got me all messed up in the first place. It IS hard work, but the benefits are HUGE.

Here, at SR and in my meetings, I have learned to share my own experience, strength and hope. I can't tell anyone else what to do. I can only tell you how it was then and how it is today. Take what you like and leave the rest.

I thank God every day for a program of recovery and for SR. Because of all of you, I have my life back.

Cats

Last edited by CatsPajamas; 07-31-2008 at 05:26 AM. Reason: spell ck !