View Single Post
Old 07-30-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TwoOfHearts

Question Help: trust issues with my RBF

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years, with a 5-month break in the middle while he was in rehab for morphine addiction (he's been clean for almost 2 years now). We wanted to give ourselves a second chance, and I saw he had changed and learned the value of honesty and integrity.

However, he still does things like not telling me that he opened a Facebook account. In his mind, this isn't lying, as I didn't ask about it. Of course, how would I know to ask? To be fair, he just opened it yesterday and only befriended his best friend. He hasn't set his status as "in a relationship," though that could be because he hasn't even set up his profile yet.

The Facebook example isn't a very good one, but there have been other instances when he has omitted telling me things. When I ask him about them, he says he forgot or didn't think it was important. I realize I could be making an issue out of nothing, but this is behavior he used to have before rehab and it scares me.

I don't know if I should be concerned about these things or not, and I know that constantly thinking and asking him about it will ruin our relationship. I want to trust him, and most of the time I do. But then little things like these come up, when I realize he omitted something and I get scared. It makes me feel that I'm wrong in giving him a second chance because he will never grow out of this behavior. Even if he isn't doing anything wrong, these thoughts are still in my head and they affect our relationship.

Part of me feels I should talk to him about it (and I have in the past). But chances are he will forget to tell me something one day, and I will find out, and I will feel this way again. So I'm not sure saying anything will help as a long-term solution. In fact, I feel it makes things worse in the short-term because it's like constantly poking at a fresh wound.

But I don't know how else to deal with it. I would really appreciate any suggestions.