View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 10:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
PassItOn2KeepIt

I agree, what a great thread. I never used to understand and frankly would get slightly annoyed (because I didn't understand, I guess!:wtf2) when people would introduce themselves as a "real alcoholic" and or a "grateful alcoholic." I guess I really wasn't ready at that time to begin to admit or understand what that meant. Today I get it though, and surprisingly I have joined the ranks of "grateful alcoholics" for the very point sct made above: the bad comes with the good, and it's supposed to, and that's okay, it's how we learn. I didn't want to even admit being an alcoholic for a long time, it was embarrassing plus I desperately didn't want it to be true. However, after trying some controlled drinking and finally concluding in utter defeat that I AM FOR SURE A REAL ALCOHOLIC, to be honest, I realize that I couldn't want what I have today or have what I want or even think at all, were it not for the ugliness too, that led me here somehow. I became free because I didn't have to fight myself on the issue or be unsure. I did what was suggested for my doubt, and my experience told me the answer. That's where the gratefulness started in. I still think about the things I did to hurt others, the selfishness, the shame, and it still sometimes feels as though I wish they hadn't happened, of course, but what I realize above the emotion is that it was necessary for those things to happen for me to remember them so that I can appreciate not having to live my life that way today, if I don't want to.