View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Jersey Nonny
Old & Sober Member of AA

I remember being afraid that my husband might come to the realization he was an alcoholic, and maybe I would also have to quit drinking. Surprise, Surprise! He left me for another alcoholic, they hit bottom, joined AA, and I continued on my merry way for another two years.

Then, I decided to try Al-Anon, so I would better understand his problem when we reconciled...see, I thought my problem was him! After going to a few AA meetings, I realized I was identifying more with the alcoholics than the friends and family members. Long story short, I wound up in detox/rehab and AA. That was over 28 years ago.

My husband and I never did reconcile; but, even though we divorced, both being in AA helped us to make our amends to each other. He passed away a few years ago with about 23 years of sobriety.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is you obviously have come to grips with your alcoholism and aren't afraid of the stigmatism...perhaps you can convince your wife that it's better to be a recovering alcoholic one day at a time with the help of AA than to wind up a staggering, slurring drunk.

You sound serious about wanting sobriety, so I wouldn't sabotage your chances by already thinking in terms of relapse.
However, due to her previous reactions, I’m scared to do that as I don’t know how she would react to me slipping and having a ‘day 1’ again.
Just concentrate on not drinking one day at a time. You may be surprised at how quickly the days will add up!