View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by Tazman53
An idea to eleminate this might be a subforum where recovering alcoholics and "Freinds & Family" folks could meet?
There are many many forums already here where people from all forums post together...What is Recovery (previously called General Recovery), The Women's Forum, The Men's Forum, The Biker's Forum, Christians in Recovery, Spirituality, The Cafe...and more. I think your question is more "Will I offend anyone if I post here, or is it helpful?"

Taz, many of our members are double winners, having faced addiction themselves and also the heartbreak of loving someone who is addicted. The CoDA group I used to attend had about 30 members each meeting, and about half were also members of AA or NA who came to address their codependency issues (yes many addict/alcoholics are also codependent).

My personal feelings are that we all came to recovery from various roads, some from addiction, some as moms of addicts, some married to or related to or had a friend who was addicted. Once we hit the road of recovery, our paths run side by side. Usually only one word in Step One changes, we are powerless over___, and the remainder of the steps are the same. Our issues and how we apply the steps may differ.

That said, it is often helpful when someone like you, from the "addiction" side of recovery, posts here offering information or even support to our members. Our backs go up when addicts/alcoholics come here telling us what we "should" do, how we CAN keep our addicts clean and how we are to blame for any part of their addiction (just as yours would if we came over "there" and started telling you all how to work your program). That goes against our program and against our recovery philosophy, and against our Step One...We are powerless over addiction/others/alcohol (depending which fellowship we visit).

You've been with us a long time, Taz, and I don't recall you ever offending anyone, at least not on this side of recovery. You are welcome to post here, as is anyone, it doesn't break any rules. Shaming, blaming, flaming might, but I don't know you to have ever done any of those here.

The short version of all this is...You are most welcome to share here and support us and if you get out of line these wonderful loyal Codies will kick you to the curb with their steel toed bunny slippers...I know I will

Post anytime Taz, I think this thread overcomplicates the issue. Just watch your shins

Hugs