View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

5 days is awesome, I was quite different from you, the last 5 years of my drinking was spent drinking alone in my garage, in early sobriety for me being alone was similar to torture. In my head if I was alone and awake I was supposed to be drinking!!!

What saved me was meetings in early sobriety, lots of meetings, not being alone. In detox they told me to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor, they also told me to spend as much time on recovery as I did drinking. Well I drank 7 days a week for years and never for just an hour or so.

Well I have to say that they were right, I spent a lot of time going to meetings, reading recovery books, working with my sponsor, talking to other recovering alcoholics.

Today I do not go to near as many meetings as I used to, I spend good quality sober time with my family, I work with other recovering alcoholics and got to 3-4 meetings a week.

Keep up the good work Gertie, I have found that any time a drink starts to seem like it might be a good idea, it is time to take action, to do something I was unwilling to do before to stay sober.