View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Campergal

An update

An update: went with mom to the dr. this morning; we talked fairly openly about her drinking. She states she hasn't had one since Sunday (there was a trip to the ER early Monday am), and also told the dr. that she'd been drinking since she was 18, though she's gone cold turkey many times. She's still really angry - quitting out of spite - and told the dr. that. Dr. was cool and said anger can be good

She and I talked a little bit - about how she has always not been healthy and I offered that there is that possibility now. I said she has to want it - not just because people are bugging her, but because she wants it. It was not a bad conversation - the first in quite a while.

Some reading for me this morning put things in perspective - reminding myself that I can choose how to respond. . . and that resentments affect *me*. I've been pretty angry, feeling like I don't have a "normal" mom - hearing the nice ladies in the assisted living place gush about how wonderful it is to have mom here has really made me cringe inside. I set that aside - what will be, will be, and I can choose how to spend my life!

Some positives to take away today, then. I have been trying to walk the road of compassion, so I was actually on that path a little today. Compassion for all - myself included.

Peace, y'all.