Old 07-23-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
AliceinWndrland
down the rabbit hole

I went through this exact scenario last night. In my situation - no, it didn't. I took my alcoholic father to the ER last night due to complications related to his "home detox" (tried to get him to go to the ER the other day, but he wouldn't - decided to wait until things got really bad) They gave him some meds to calm his shakes and help his nausea and sent him home. They did try to call some detox facilities last night, but no beds were open. So they sent me home with a list of places to call this AM to try and find him a bed myself. But the woman I dealt with said they basically do the calls as a courtesy but the hospital doesn't really make the arrangements, it's up to the patient.
All for naught anyway, as he called me this morning and told me not to bother making the calls today, that he would not go to the detox hospital even if we were able to find him a bed...
BUT it may have been a totally different story if he had been making suicidal threats... just my experience from last night...