Old 07-22-2008, 11:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
prodigal

Originally Posted by strongerwoman View Post
She called to talk to me about it and we got to wondering if the sister could get into a rehab facility if my friend took her to the ER because she was saying she was wanting to just kill herself in her drunk condition.
It depends on the state. In Arizona, if you put an A into the emergency room, and they refuse to go to a rehab, it is their right to refuse. It does not matter if they are suicidal, homicidal, or just plain old nuts. However, in South Dakota, the laws are entirely different. If you place an A in the emergency room, and the admitting doctor has adequate documentation to have the individual adjudged incompetent, then they can be put in a rehab - regardless of what they want to do.

The laws vary from state to state. All your friend needs to do is ask the docs in the E.R. If they do not know, there are social workers on staff at the hospital who deal with this issue every day. They will be able to inform your friend as to what she can or cannot do.

Here's the bottom line, strongerwoman. Your gf can find this information out for herself at the hospital to which she admitted her sister. There are health care and mental health care professionals on staff 24/7.

I believe FD pointed out to you that you are allowing yourself to become entangled in a lot of drama. Perhaps the emails from your ex stimulated this drama-overdrive.

We are just a community of folks here trying to recover from our exposure to alcoholism and the alcoholic. We try to support one another to the best of our limited abilities. Medical emergencies and legal problems are not our area of expertise, although we have knowledge of these issues (unfortunately) from often having dragged the A in our lives in and out of hospitals, rehabs, detoxes, jail, probation, court, and whatever.

I hope you can find some peace soon.