View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Funny thing the topic of SVT came up yesterday. This morning at 12:30 am, I woke up with a seriously fast heart rate. It scared the crap out of me, so I went to the ER in case it escalated into something serious.

Luckily, by the time I got to the ER, my heart rate was beginning to calm down. I was kept there until 4:30 this morning for observation. During that time, another patient with SVT arrived, and my ER nurse was caring for her, too.

She said they had to use the defibillators without anesthesia in order to get her heart to return to a normal beat. I asked her if SVT was a more serious condition than a-fib and she said absolutely.

My discharge instructions said that folks who suffer from irregular heartbeats should avoid caffene, smoking, alcohol, diet pills, medications that increase the heart rate, and strenuous activities (apparently my episode was instigated by mowing the yard in near 100 degree heat yesterday evening and getting dehyrdated).

So, it doesn't really matter what her lab results will be regarding possible liver issues. She's already playing with fire with her daily drinking and SVT.

The question is what plans, if any, do you have to protect yourself from your partner's harmful behavior? She's not just harming herself. She's also harming you.