View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
butterfly19
"Welcome To The Future..."

A sad and all too common story!

I don't mean to offend any of this girl's grieving family members, but I must agree with what TommyK said above. It doesn't matter if it was cheap alcohol vs. expensive. It's not going to matter if they increase the price of alcohol or try to make it illegal. For example, look at how many drugs are illegal in the US, and then look at how many of us are addicted to those substances and will do pretty much anything to obtain them.

The article mentioned something about this girl being the youngest to die in the UK from alcohol-related diseases. I doubt this to be true. I'm sure there have been younger addicts who have also died, maybe not in this same way, but from accidents, suicides, etc. . . The only difference was that this girl's family made it well-publicized. I think it was admirable to do that even if some of the facts could be wrong. In fact, although there are many things in that article I might not agree with, I'm glad it was published and glad someone posted it here. Why?? Because it got all of us thinking about our own lives; about how fortunate many of us are to still be alive when we have done far more drugs/alcohol and combos than she might have; and about how things in our own society need to change.

I don't know the answer of how to change things. I just know that I changed my life so that I can go on living. For those who are still teetering on whether they should get sober or not. Think about it as a life or death decision. In the end that is always what it comes down to. So many young people think "That will never happen to me." I don't mind saying that yes it does happen. It happened to this young girl; it has happened to our own friends and family members; it even happens here at SR--sometimes people disappear from here and we wonder if their addiction finally caught up with them.

Don't let it catch up to you, young and old alike. You are worthy of the life that has been given to you. Take care my sober friends and my struggling friends! I'll get off my soap-box now--just needed to get a few things out of my system!

God bless you all for being a friend to me and for being a part of SR!

Love,

butterfly19 (SP)

:ghug2