View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bernadette

hey starflier--
I would say a serious diagnosis of something alcohol-related has about as much of a chance as any "bottom" in getting your AP to seek recovery. It will spur some people to seek recovery and others it will not. If it impacts her in a way that leads to recovery then she will find recovery. But maybe she still has some drinking to do... try not to tie any expectations into what ever the results may be. You can naturally show your concern for her health, but let the weight of the results land in her lap.

This is just one more big serious alcohol related drama. You already have all the "results" you need after so many years with this woman to assess the kind of relationship you're in. If you only want to stay in it "if she changes" then you're probably wise to keep looking at apartments and, in any event, stay the course in keeping the focus on yourself.

Wow, when you posted that bit about "why do I care so much" and FD's response to that too.... that is getting into some very deep stuff - some nuts and bolts of codependency...very interesting thanks for sharing all this and - I do hope your partner's health is OK.

How crazy that we can want to rescue them for years and then secretly hope they are brought down by a health issue so we can feel....what? Validated? Right? Justified? I have definitely felt this way many times - it makes me ashamed...

Peace,
B