View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
gravity
where the light is

Thanks for the post sobergirl.

Originally Posted by sobergirl77 View Post
I need to work my spiritual program every day.

To those in AA, it means I have to personally connect with the God of my understanding EVERY SINGLE DAY. Not only do I have to get down on my knees each day and pray for His will, and for a new day of sobriety, etc, but I need to mediate a bit. Take some time with it all. Read the big book and/or the bible.

The sponsor who worked with me on my 4th step today revealed this to me. She asked me a series of questions, and it suddenly became clear what the heck my problem was: [B]The days I relapsed, I had not gotten down on my knees to pray. Or if I did, I was in a hurry and didn't really take the time.
In my own experience, you have found one of the most important keys to sobriety AND living a happy & fulfilling life. In general, I find that I need to do the following actions to really ensure my sobriety and peace of mind:

-Daily prayer & meditation - focus, strength, my HP’s will, gratitude
-Take my personal inventory every day – what I did right, what I did wrong, finding solutions
-Talking with my sponsor & other alcoholics – reaching out for help, helping others
-Meetings

Last week, I was in a bitter mood for a few days - stress, anxiety. In the past, this would have had me calling my friends and getting drunk. While I was attending meetings & talking to my sponsor during this time, my prayers were half-hearted, I wasn’t meditating, and I wasn’t taking my personal inventory. I really did not have to feel like this at all! And while I did not want to drink, I was certainly that much closer.

It really sounds like you are moving forward in your recovery. Awesome work!