View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

Courage to Change ~ July 16 - Relax !

Courage to Change ODAT in Al-Anon II 7/16

One of the wonderful, but unexpected, benefits of working the Al Anon program is learning how to relax. Until now, most of my life sped by in a frenzy of activity. School, work, projects, obligations, all helped me focus outward. That way I didn’t have to rest long enough to feel how frightful my home life was.

There is nothing wrong with working hard and producing results, but I was abusing these activities. They were socially acceptable ways to deny my feelings. Both family and society supported my hiding behind them, until, beaten down and exhausted, I reached the doors of Al Anon. By that time, I couldn’t have relaxed if I had wanted to – I didn’t’ know how it was done

In Al Anon it was suggested that I would not treat anyone as harshly as I treated myself. I would never ask some I loved to go without rest, never letting up, and never having any fun. But that was exactly what I asked of myself. My sponsor helped me to learn what gave me pleasure and how to take it easy. Now, relaxation is part of my daily routine.

Today’s Reminder:

Hard work can be terrific, and my activities can be highly rewarding. But I am striving for some balance. Today I will look at how I spend my time, and set some of that time aside to relax.

“The time to enjoy wasting is not wasted time.” Bertrand Russell