View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 12:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
starflier

The hardest part of analyzing your feelings, in my opinion, is that in dealing with an alcoholic we, as codependents, tend to put our own feelings so deeply inside, we totally bury them, and we end up putting the alcoholic's feelings into the forefront. Alcoholics are VERY good at making their feelings known. Truly, the only real feelings an alcoholic has is the feeling that he/she needs to drink, and whatever they need to say or do to enable the ability to drink is the ONLY important thing. So, they use the codependent's desire to help against them. They are so needy, that we, as codies, allow their needs to completely subsume our own needs.

So, to analyze your feelings, you need to completely stop worrying about his feelings (sad stories, deep pain inside, infinitely misunderstood gentleness, etc.) and concentrate only on the FACTS. Even ignore your own feelings if you can.

It might help to get a piece of paper and start writing things down. For example, one fact is that you are harboring a criminal. Another fact is that you are continually giving him chances even in the face of his absolute inability to take advantage of these chances. Another fact is that his drinking is completely destroying your ability to live a peaceful life.

Maybe just try responding here with a post that contains absolutely no adjectives. I find that is sometimes a useful way to examine facts and eliminate feelings. Think about it as an exercise like writing out a budget. You have only x dollars and you have y expenses. How to balance these? A budget contains no adjectives. Nothing like "I love this man." Just, "This man is an active alcoholic and thus I cannot trust him."

Hope this helps. I didn't mean to be harsh, but again, do NOT allow this man to drive your vehicle.