View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
anubus

Exclamation HELP!! New here...

I am TOTALLY lost on what to do or not do for this guy!! The situation (short version) is: He's been living with me for 1-1/2 years now. He's 52 years old. He has a warrant out on him from 2004 for not showing up for a DUI hearing, which he refuses to deal with dispite my begging (he's afraid of jail time). He has no job, no car.......the man simply has NOTHING except a few tools. We were engaged, but now I'm not sure what we are. He lies compulsively, and blames everyone else for his problems. We don't even have a sex life anymore, he claims he can't "function".
He has health issues that need attention, but because of this warrant he cannot even get any medical or other assistance. I got him into a free screening, so we know there ARE health issues. But the screening doesn't include treatment. I've tried throwing him out several times, but honestly he has NOWHERE to go. He ends up sleeping either in my breezeway, or when I insist he leaves the property, he sleeps in the woods or something.
He does some things around my house, like keeps my 1 acre yard cut, washes clothes & cleans some (I work 2 jobs) which do help me out, but honestly I want more. Plus I know things will only get worse, and that I am not helping him any by enabling. But I'm not sure how much is "enabling" and how much is "giving somebody a helping hand".
Yesterday I lent him my car to go look for a job. He can even use the car until he gets on his feet because my boss is a minister (fantastic man who loves helping people) and lent me an extra car he has. HOW MUCH MORE CAN GOD BLESS A PERSON????? WELL........he comes home drunk (driving MY car......urgh!!) with this story about meeting a potential boss at a bar for an interview (he's a contractor). I listened to this crazy story for an hour, then confronted him on it. I told him I knew it was BS, and that how dare he insult my intellegence like that. And how stupid could he be, drinking & driving AGAIN......no license & a warrant out for his arrest for a DUI.......URGH.
Before this I even got him a job, at a car auction cleaning cars. The boss lives nearby, and even offered to drive him to/from work until he got on his feet. Instead of being greatful & taking the job, he disappeared for 3 days. I got mad & threw his stuff out in my driveway, and said it was OVER. He threatened my job, my property, etc......then when he came to "pick up his stuff", he weaseled his way back in saying he had no place to go.
Crazy as it is, I DO love this guy and would LOVE to see him straighten out his life. But obviously nothing anyone is doing is working.
PLEASE give me some advise!! I live in a tiny town so there aren't any Alon On meetings, and I don't drive much out of town. I know some about alcoholism because my X-husband was an adult child. And my boss gave me info that they use at his church for AA meetings. So I understand basically about the disease, but do not quite understand what I should do - or not do.
Thank you all SO much in advance!!:praying